VA Claims & Benefits – Veteran
Eligible benefits through the VA
There are many eligible services offered through the VA – The below list is not all inclusive.
Veterans who have disabilities, medical conditions, or injuries incurred or aggravated during active military service—no matter when or where they served—may be eligible to receive tax-free monthly benefits.
- You have a current physical or mental disability.
- You had an injury or disease in service or experienced an event in service that caused or aggravated an injury or disease.
- There is a link between your current disability and the event, injury, or disease in military service.
Many Veterans may be eligible for VA health care. Enrollment in VA health care satisfies your Affordable Care Act health coverage requirement. Most Veterans qualify for cost-free health care services, although some Veterans must pay modest co-pays for health care or prescriptions.
Education and training
Most Veterans qualify for cost-free health care services, although some Veterans must pay modest copays for health care or prescriptions. If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.
Non Service Connected Pension
Pension is a needs-based benefit for wartime Veterans with limited or no income who are age 65 or older or who have a permanent and total non-service-connected disability.
Veterans with a qualifying discharge are entitled to VA burial benefits. Spouses and dependent children are eligible too, even if they predecease the Veteran.
Burial in a VA national cemetery
- Opening and closing of the grave or burial of cremated remains or placement in an above-ground vault, also called a columbarium
- A government furnished grave liner
- Perpetual care of the gravesite
- A headstone or marker with an inscription
- A burial flag
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate
- Transportation of flower arrangements from the committal service shelter to the gravesite
Burial in a private cemetery
- A government headstone, marker, or medallion
- A burial flag
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate.
- Some survivors may also be entitled to VA burial allowances as partial reimbursement for the costs of funerals and burials for eligible Veterans
Home loan and Housing Assistance
VA home loan programs may be used to obtain homes, condominiums, or manufactured homes; refinance an existing home loan; or install energy-saving improvements. VA offers these three main types of guaranteed home loan benefits:
- Purchase Loans
- Cash-Out Refinance Loans
- Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loans
VA also offers grants to Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities to build an adapted home or install ramps, widen doors, or make other modifications to live more independently. VA operates three types of grants that accommodate Veterans’ unique circumstances: Specially Adapted Housing, Special Housing Adaptation, and Temporary Residence Adaptation.
Aid and Attendance
Wartime veterans and their surviving spouses, 65 years and older, may be entitled to a tax-free benefit called Aid and Attendance provided by the Department of
The Benefit is designed to provide financial aid to help offset the cost of long-term care for those who need assistance with the daily activities of living such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, and transferring.
VA Life Insurance
Get the peace of mind and financial security that come from knowing your family is protected, no matter what happens. VA provides Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families with $1.3 trillion in insurance coverage each year. VA also offers a variety of life insurance options, including:
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Disability Extension (SGLI-DE)
- Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
- Family Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI)
- Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI)
- Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)
The Compensation and pension checklist can be downloaded here
For more information, you can contact us at 330-643-2830 or email us by clicking here.